Sunday, December 23, 2018

Favorite music videos of 2018

This year I had to add a new category to my year-end music lists: music videos. 

Really I had to create the category so I could talk about Childish Gambino's "This is America," which really is not only the song of the year, but I dare say artistic statement of the year.



This conversation between Theresa Ruth Howard and Camille A. Brown on the Dance Magazine blog is really worth reading, especially in terms of seeing the dance as essential to the video, rather than as a distraction, as many critics did.

Since I'm at it, I also want to mention Janelle Monae's "Pynk." Largely because: vagina pants.



I mean, come on: those vagina pants are amazing! And bonus points for nuancing the crass pinkification of anyone with a vagina, by focusing on the vagina itself (and vulva, and tongues, and...well you get the picture) as Pynk. But also, Monae did make one of the albums of the year, and she is certainly someone working transdisciplinarily. A force to be reckoned with!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails